Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Day 10 | The Giver and the Gift

A couple weeks ago I was hiking in Mid-range Mountains in Colorado. It was 54 degrees at the bottom of the mountain in White Ranch Park. With the city of Denver behind and far below, but clearly visible, and layers upon layers of mountains ahead, I marched up entranced, soaking in God’s created beauty, hungering for more each step.

White Ranch Park, Colorado

The few clouds in the sky served to provide dimension and softness to a fiercely bright sun. The contrast of puffy white on brilliant blue was beauty enough to keep my eyes upward. Yet, there was so much more to take in… Every shade of blue, purple, and smoky gray covered the mountains like costly drapery and drew my eyes from one spectacular scene to the next. The breeze mingled with rays of sun and swooped down with a tender kiss to my forehead.
 

God was showing off and he had invited me to the show. And he wasn’t finished.
 

To my right an eagle lifted from her perch and glided effortlessly, weaving a pattern of power and bold freedom across my view for what seemed like miles.


Thank you, God. This is really cool.


Marveling at God’s perfect artistry and unfathomable wisdom, I was reminded how small, powerless, and insignificant I am in all this cosmic wonder, yet amazed that God shares it with me.
 

“Don’t you know anything? Haven’t you been listening?

God doesn’t come and go. God Lasts.

He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.

He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath.

And he knows everything, inside and out.”

Isa. 40:28 (MSG)

 
God is not obligated to give us anything. But I’m glad he chose to give us the ability to interact with his splendid creation and to fellowship with him through that which his mighty hand has formed.  Not only is he the Giver. He is also the Gift.
 

Creator Father, thank you for giving us a glimpse of your beauty through the splendor of your creation. Help us treasure this gift and never take it for granted. Please melt hard hearts of those resistant to you with the attraction of your goodness.

-Sonia Sundberg
 


 

1 comment:

  1. Sonia...thanks so much for your beautiful words. I love what you pulled from the Message in that God doesn't get tired. Like a child who calls out to his father who throws him up in the air, "Do it again! Do it again!" Only too often it's us who gets tired before our Father. May we never lose our sense of wonder!

    ReplyDelete