Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Committed Hearts

For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. -2 Chronicles 16:9a (NIV)

It’s incredible to think that at this moment, God is searching the earth for hearts that are fully committed to him so that He can be reinforcing them with His strength!  After reflecting on this verse, I had to ask God, “How do I get one of those – one of those fully committed hearts that You find so attractive?”  Indulge me as I share some thoughts that came to me and scripture I found as I meditated on this:

God can give me a fully committed (undivided) heart.


Teach me your way, Lord,
that I may rely on your faithfulness;


give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.
I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever. (Psalm 86:11-12)

I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 11:19)

Gaining a fully committed heart will require God to clean out what’s hidden there. This may be painful for me, but God is not surprised by the condition of my heart and he desires to deal with it.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:8-9)

Rend your hearts and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love…. (Joel 2:13)

Whatever’s in my heart, God wants me to pour it out before him. (This includes any disappointment or anger I may be harboring against him.)

Arise, cry out in the night,
as the watches of the night begin;
pour out your heart like water
in the presence of the Lord. Lamentations 2:19a

God is incredibly gentle. He has a way of dealing with my sin and at the same time covering me with his grace.

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise. (Psalm 51:17)

God is incredibly gracious. If I take one step toward him, he takes 10 steps toward me – the same way the prodigal’s father ran to meet his son who returned home with a humble heart.

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. (Luke 15:20)

God promises that if we seek him, we’ll find him.

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)

There are things I can do (things like praying, fasting, mediating, obeying and waiting on God) to position my heart so that God can change it.

Let's pray!

Father, create in us hearts that are fully committed to You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

 - CJ Ganzevoort

No comments:

Post a Comment