Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

First Love

But I have this complaint against you.  You don’t love me or each other as you did at first!
Revelation 2:4


In Revelation 2:2-3, eight signs are mentioned showing the zeal of the church at Ephesus, but there was one bad sign.  The Lord said:  ”Turn back to me again and work as you did at first.  If you don’t, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches” (verse 5.)  What was this sin?  “You don’t love me or each other as you did at first! “  They forgot their first love.

Are we committing this same sin in our churches today?  Are we doing good deeds, and working hard, persevering for His Kingdom, and enduring hardships without growing weary, yet … are we missing what God values the most: tender, fervent love for Him and for each other.

We can be good Christian examples in all that we do and are accomplishing, but if we don’t have that tender love for Jesus that shines through how we love each other, then all our activities and hardships are nothing in the Master’s eyes. 

God desires our heart above all else.  He came to this earth to love us; to suffer horribly on the cross to make a way for us to be in relationship with Him.  Let us not forget that He ultimately did all that He did so that we could be in personal fellowship with Him. 

When you reflect on that, does that stir something within your soul?  Your First Love for why you do what you do!  Francis Chan says in Crazy Love, “When we work for Christ out of obligation, it feels like work.  But when we truly love Christ, our work is a manifestation of that love, and it feels like love.” 

Don’t forget your Fist Love!  When you are alone with Him enjoy Him!  When you are gathered together as a body of believers, embrace joy and worship Him!  When you serve Him, show others how to love Him.  “Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself.  It is as if they are showing you the way.”  Blue Like Jazz 

May your life be a dance for joy! 

Dance for You

May I dance for You, Lord, today and every day.

Days your song is joyful and alive,
May my soul be enraptured by Your tune,
As I dance for You.

Some days the music is powerful and vigorous,
May my steps keep in Your time,
As I dance for You.

There are days the melody is slow and sad,
May my arms reach up though my head hangs low
As I dance for You.

Waiting for the day that my pulse will quicken to Your glorious beat,
May my lips sing Your praise and my all respond,
As I dance for You.

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.  Lord my God, I will praise you forever.
Psalm 30: 11, 12

- Sue Parrott

No comments:

Post a Comment