Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Persevere

One of Jesus' disciples asks, "Lord, teach us to pray". (Luke 11)

He begins by sharing what we know as “the Lord’s Prayer” which most of us are quite familiar with, but then Jesus continues with this:

Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’  And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’  
Luke 11:5-7

Sometimes in our intercession we encounter difficulties such as obstacles or silence in God answering.  It’s as if He is saying, “Sorry, you’re on your own, can’t help you right now.”  It isn’t easy to continue to trust that He hears and that He cares during that time of silence or apparent refusal to answer.

But God urges us to persevere:
 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.  Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?  If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11: 9-13

God knows how to give “good gifts” to His children.  Sometimes part of the gift IS the waiting!  Seems strange, but think about it...  Can you imagine what it would be like if we went before God, asked what we wanted, got it, and went on our way?  We would never grow in our spiritual life, or fully understand the relationship we have with God.

Just like in education when a child grasps a lesson and it becomes easy, the student advances to the next level to continue to develop the mind and achieve a higher understanding.  God allows difficulty and silence so we can learn and discover our weakness, causing us to commit our spirit to Christ and to crucify our will.  Then we receive newness of life, a further understanding and deeper relationship with our Father. 

Think about our example in Jesus of how to pray.
And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. Luke 22:44

Alone in the coolness of the night and the glow of the moon, at the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus was sweating, persevering in prayer.

And in His final moments on the cross, Jesus calls out His last prayer, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”  (Luke 23:46)

Through His trials and difficulty, His will was crucified and death was overcome! 

Tuck Me In
Lord, tuck me in, this world is cold.
Darkness has come.
The silent moon floats in the sky,
Casting deep shadows that reach for my heart.

I lie here, unprotected.
The chill of the air the only blanket for my soul.
I curl my shivering body tight,
As I wait for You, in the silence.

 Father, thank you for your gifts!  Thank you for the difficulties that cause me to persevere in prayer.  Thank you for your silence that allow me to appreciate your good gifts.  Thank you for teaching us, your disciples, how to pray.  Thank you for your gift of grace that was given through the intense trial and difficulty of the cross.  In Jesus Name, Amen

- Sue Parrott

No comments:

Post a Comment