Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

Fatigue in the Journey

Daily demands seem to be a constant stream of things that I never have quite enough time to fully accomplish.  Life’s continual movement forward can be an exhausting endeavor with cleaning, cooking, work projects, kid’s projects, small group…well, you get the drift.  As this never completed list sits in front of me, I often find myself sensing an oppressive fatigue settling in.  My eyes are quick to narrow in on what I am unable to do, despite my best efforts.
Thinking of my failures reminded me of the Israelites during their time of wandering in the desert.  Reading this can be so infuriating to me!  Here was a group of people that were lead of out Egypt by miraculous plagues, walked across a sea on DRY land, and were lead around by a pillar of fire or a cloud during the day.  Food that had never existed on Earth astonishingly appears in the morning to fuel their bodies.  Seriously, the miracles go on and on and on.  Why couldn’t they see these incredible blessings? Why couldn’t they recognize that their God was faithful in His provision?  Why couldn’t they see that God was more than enough for them and through Him all things were obviously possible?

Maybe, just maybe, they were distracted by the daily fatigue of human life.  Maybe these incredible miracles were clouded by a daily task list – a list that never seemed to be quite finished.
I often think that if I had the luxury of seeing my story and the faithfulness of my God written out before me in text, this exhaustion I feel would be significantly diminished.  In the distractibility of my humanity, I fall into these traps Satan sets before me to tell me that I am not enough.  He lies to me and strives to deceive me into believing that my focus needs to be on temporary responsibilities and my success in life’s to-do list is directly related to God’s provision and favor.  I need to be reminded that these are lies from an already defeated creature.

God’s provision is not based on what I do, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8.  If knowing that I could never be less than desirable to the Creator were not enough, He gave us help, “But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.” Romans 8:11

Patient Lord, when we remember these astonishing promises allow us to be energized.  When we are so tired, beyond exhaustion, and weighted down by “never enough” it is often because we forget to invite you into this life.  I pray that we would be rejuvenated by our acknowledgment of your favor and we would seek the power of your Spirit. Let us remember that we can take on this world not because of our strength, but because you have overcome the world. Amen

~ Ashley Van Dam

No comments:

Post a Comment