Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

Feeling Overloaded

We all have those days when we have so much to do.  At night, we lay down in bed and eventually fall asleep after wrestling with thinking about all the stuff we have to get done. Maybe you’re getting ready for a big presentation, putting off homework, or just overwhelmed with making sure the house is perfect before your big party. When I feel this way, I feel so overwhelmed and weak. Times like this always make me think about a man named Paul who wanted to shout for help.

II Corinthians 12 is where Paul is talking about his sufferings from a thorn given to him by Satan, to torment him.  Paul says “I must go on boasting.  Although, there is nothing to be gained” (II Cor 12:1).  This is where I relate; I can complain about all the work that I have or the tests I have to study for, but even after I grumble, the tasks will still be there and they will be until I actually do it.

Paul continues to tell us that he talks about his weaknesses and his problems. “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me,  but He said to me, “My Grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” (12:8-9).

When I read this passage I pause and think to myself, “Don’t focus on the bad things like how much I have to do, but focus on the good that will come out of it.”  When I have a test for school I always moan about all the work that I have to put into a test to actually pass the test.  I never stop to think about all of the good that can come out of me taking the time out of my day to actually pass the test.  If I pass the test, I can finish the class.  If I finish all my classes, I can graduate.  If I graduate, I can get a good job.  I forget to focus on the end goal.

I often receive this reminder and thank God.  He is the one that has placed me here and has given me the tasks to do.  If I follow this path he has before me, not complain and strive to complete the work I have, then I will be rewarded.  Paul continues to say in Verse 10, “This is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

When I receive this reminder from God, I take a step back and pray.  I lay everything down before Him.  Release any anxiety, weakness, and stress to Him.  Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” We can’t live our lives obsessing about all the work we are tasked with.  We need to invite the Lord into our lives and realize that what we do, we do for Him.

~ Nathan Andrus

No comments:

Post a Comment