Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day 14 | For Christ Alone


 Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won’t let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us. We must keep our eyes on Jesus, who leads us and makes our faith complete. He endured the shame of being nailed to a cross, because he knew that later on he would be glad he did. Now he is seated at the right side of God’s throne!”  Hebrews 12:1b-2 (Contemporary English Version)

As we have been working our way through the “Satisfied” series, the words “for Christ Alone” continue to surface in my heart. We are blessed beyond much of the world’s wildest imaginations. In relation to our possessions and as food for thought, if this was truly the desire of our hearts, what would this phrase look like?

 
Is it really enough to look through our stores of stuff, find a few things we can definitely live without and drop them off at Goodwill without a second thought? Do we too easily justify surrounding ourselves with mountains of things by saying that we have been blessed?

What would happen if every time I looked at one of my things, I asked myself this question- ‘If my deepest desire is for Christ Alone, why do I have this thing?

 Do I keep these extra plates because I use them to serve meals to friends or lonely college students? Do I continue to have three cars because one is constantly available for those without one? Do I cut coupons and buy excess, not so I can store more toothpaste than I will ever use in a lifetime but because I give it to local shelter or women’s center?

If my desire is to live, to love, to give, to exist “for Christ alone” is there anything I need to change?


Only One Life

~Avis B. Christiansen~

“Only one life to offer –Jesus, my Lord and King;

Only one tongue to praise Thee and of Thy mercy sing (forever);

Only one heart’s devotion- Savior, O may it be consecrated alone to Thy matchless glory,

Yielded, fully to Thee.

 

Oh Jesus, Lover of my soul, I want my life to be completely Yours. Please forgive me when my eyes stray and become fixed on “things” and not on You. Replace our hunger for earthly things with a desperate longing for what is eternal. Help us to have hearts that are ever searching for ways to bring light into the darkness. Help us not to fear, but to be courageous. Give our legs renewed strength as we run this race. We want to reflect You well.  Amen.

-Sarah Bennor

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, Sarah! I am feeling challenged. I want to drop that which is unnecessary and run the race with better focus and proper strength. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete