Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Day 19 | Absurd Love


 
One look at this Jamaican sunset and the first thing that comes to my mind is the amazing beauty of our God and the mighty power of his creative hand. 

“Now no one can look at the sun,

bright as it is in the skies

after the wind has swept them clean.

Out of the north he comes in golden splendor;

God comes in awesome majesty.

The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power…”

Job 37:21-23a

What a marvel is our God! How can anyone deny his terrific strength? It puzzles me to think that some hold the opinion that Jesus was weak when he allowed himself to be killed by human hands, that he was small and unable to save himself, that he was a fool to die for fools. What an absurd idiocy!

In truth, it required more strength than any other person could have mustered for Jesus to give as he gave and allow himself to be plunged to Hell on behalf of fools who could not endure Hell themselves.

 He IS the Almighty who is beyond our reach. He is exalted to a place we cannot even imagine. He is so “other” than us that we have no hope of even knowing how to begin to make our way to him.

So, he made a way to us.

And why? WHY?

And this is the unexplainable absurdity of all…

Because he desires my company more than he desires his comfort. Because he burns with a holy love that I will never truly understand. Because he WANTS me.  

“I belong to my beloved, and his desire is for me.”

Song of Solomon 7:10



Jesus, thank you for doing the hard work of making a way to me. I admit I will never really understand what you gave up to come to me and what it cost you to purchase me. It is way more than I am worth. Help me absorb the truth that you did this crazy thing all from love; that your desire for me drove you to drastic measures. Because of this, I am all yours. Amen.

 
-Sonia Sundberg
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment