Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 24 | I Want to Be Like Jesus


“Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ”    1 Corinthians 11:1

     This amazing sentence has invaded my thoughts countless times over the past several years. What is the Apostle Paul saying here? With boldness he proclaims, “If you want to know what Jesus looks like, if you want to know how He acted, then watch my life.  Live like I do.”

     What confidence to make such a statement! It’s audacious, yes, but far from arrogant. Elsewhere in his letters, Paul repeatedly acknowledges his imperfections (i.e. Romans 7) and his gratefulness for being rescued. But, he recognizes the magnificent change in his life and invites the Church to take a deeper look at the difference Jesus makes.
 I hear the challenge. Do you? Desire stirs deep within my soul; a desire to put my Redeemer on display. Because of the immense love of His Majesty, we have been given life! We have been given positions in the royal family! With these positions, though, comes responsibility. As heirs and therefore representatives of the King of Kings, we are called to make Him shine. Is it my heart’s deepest desire to look, act, sound and love just like my Redeemer?   Like Paul, I know my heart is sinful. I know I don’t always do what I should and I often say or do what I shouldn’t. But I pray that the beautifying work of God will allow me to say at some point in my life, “Go ahead and copy my lifestyle. Act the way I act, speak the way I speak, love the way I love. Go ahead…for I live like one who has been pardoned and I mirror the One who has restored my soul. Go ahead and follow my example because I have followed the example of Christ.”

I Want to Be Like Jesus
By Thomas O. Chisholm

I have one deep, supreme desire,
that I may be like Jesus.
To this I fervently aspire,
that I may be like Jesus.
I want my heart His throne to be,
so that a watching world may see
His likeness shining forth in me.
I want to be like Jesus.
Oh Jesus, I am so thankful that You have eyes that see beyond my sin. Thank You for being the Potter who never fails to mold and shape this imperfect vessel. You are my Savior and my King. You deserve my utmost. It is truly my longing and desire to be as much like You as possible. Please, Father, guard my heart and my actions. May I be able to say with humble boldness, ‘look at me if you want to see Jesus’.  You deserve the highest form of praise…imitation. I love You. Amen.

-Sarah Bennor

1 comment: