Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Day 3 | I'm in Awe


I love my job as a small group pastor but from time to time, I think about other dream jobs I’d like to try someday.  At the top of my list of other cool jobs... sports photographer.  For me, traveling to major sports event capturing shots that land in newspapers, magazines, and websites seems like a blast. I know how much this excites me because I’ve gotten a taste of doing this dream job. On a dozen occasions or so, I’ve found a way to get media credentials to photograph a few college basketball games at Michigan and Michigan State.  I’m not going to tell you my secret of how I got those credentials, but I will say, it’s been awesome every time.

 
Because I only get to do this once or twice a year, the newness of the experience hasn’t wore off.  Each time, I feel a sense of awe as a sport’s fan and a photographer.  As I take my spot on the baseline floor, I become in awe of not only the great basketball players just feet in front of me but also the photographers I’m sitting with. Each time I get to do this, I take a few minutes just to be in awe of where I am and who I’m with.

As I read the Psalms, I hear words of awe in the voice of David and he describes the work of God around him. These words remind me that I get to be in awe every day over things bigger and better than sports and cameras.

Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.  For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the LORD made the heavens.         Psalm 96.2-5


Think about the daily opportunities we have to see and declare God’s AWEsomeness and glory.  The beauty of the sun after a winter storm. The provision of food and shelter on a cold night.  The sweet voice and the infectious smile of a child or grandchild.  All declare, “God, all around me, you are good and great every day.”

But what if there’s more to our awe of God?  In addition to seeing God’s greatness around us, we get to see and declare God’s greatness in us. Look at what Peter says.  Note the highlighted words.
 
By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.                                                                                                                             2 Peter 1.3-4 NLT

 

Think about it! He has called you to himself so that you can have access to divine power.  You have been given a new divine nature; a new way to think and feel, and a new way to experience life. Each time you love the unlovely, experience peace during chaos, find joy in an unhappy place, endure when tempted to quit or when you say “no” to a sin that you’ve fallen to before… you get to declare God’s greatness in you. You’ve tasted the divine power of the divine nature.  These are some awe-worthy promises. 
 
As you look around your world today, take a minute to stand in awe of the great God who is all around you and who is also in you!  He has called you to himself.  Bask in the divine nature he’s provided you.
 
-Phil Niekerk 

No comments:

Post a Comment