Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 29 | Beware but Be Not Afraid


 
Exploring the concept of desire has been an intriguing journey for me. The image of God's passion has grown to thrill my heart with the pondering of his pursuit of me. 

"You are precious and special in my sight, and I love you . . ." Isaiah 43: 

We've explored the WHY of God's pursuit of us; the root being Love. I say 'explore' because I don't think we will ever reach fulfillment of understanding. The pondering of this absurd and glorious truth can exhaust eternity. 

Over the past several days a parallel image has sharpened as well; the persistent, competing force of the enemy. 

"The enemy said, I will chase, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil, and my desire will be satisfied on them. I will draw my sword, my hand will destroy them." Exodus 15:9 

The next obvious question is the WHY of the enemy's interest in us? What does this hideous, powerful, creator of evil want with me? With his minions of spirit-servants and generations of humans willing to wreak havoc on his behalf to God's good earth and people, why does he bother with me? 

There are the Sunday School answers:

             He is bent to thwart God's plan of salvation.

             His pride drives him to destroy any and all God has created.

             He hates God and anything and anyone God loves.

 And these are all true. But, I believe there's more. 

Satan is jealous of me. 

He is jealous of my grandmother, gone to Heaven in 1996. He is jealous of my godly mother, gone since 2006. He is jealous of my son who lives for Jesus and my unborn grandson who has yet to choose whose pursuit he will accept. 

Satan is jealous of you. 

He is jealous of the beauty of simple faith, of a believing heart. He is jealous of the affections that flow between the Creator and possessor of all beauty to his children.  

Consider the contrast:

God burns with a holy jealousy for those he does not need but intensely desires.

"For the LORD your God is a consuming fire; he is a jealous God." Deuteronomy 4:24

 Satan is captive to an insatiable lust to destroy those whom he hates.

"Be sober and alert. Your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is on the prowl looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8

Let's be careful here to keep firm to God's truth. These images may be parallel, but they are not equal. God will prevail.

"He rescued me from my strong enemy, from those who hate me, for they were too strong for me." Psalm 18:17

"I continually look to the LORD for help, for he will free my feet from the enemy's net."  Psalm 25:15

 "Indeed, you are my shelter, a strong tower that protects me from the enemy."  Psalm 61:3

"He delivered them from the power of the one who hated them, and rescued them from the power of the enemy."   Psalm 106:10

The enemy is not up to the task in which he is engaged! He will claw and tear in a jealous rage for our hearts, but Jesus has purchased the one-way ticket that binds us to him forever. 

Lover of my soul, thank you for the warnings in your Word. Help me stay alert to this enemy that would have me forget your love and the power it brings. Even more, help me remain focused on your passion for me. Help me see your love more and more clearly. Free me from the snares of the enemy that keep me from reflecting your desire to those in my world. Amen.

- Sonia Sundberg

No comments:

Post a Comment