Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 40 | Frivolous


Today we come to the conclusion of a 40 day journey of Love between God and us, and I have to admit…this was hard.  Who can know this Love?  Why do we need to know it?  Why did we spend 40 days focusing on something so….frivolous? 

Paul the apostle wrote a letter to believers in Ephesus and in it he penned a prayer for them which is timeless in its relevancy…

I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit.  Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.  Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully.  Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Understanding the immensity of this Love can only be done by the strength given to us by God.  And it is absolutely necessary in order to be made complete…in life, in power…all from God.  Not study, not service, not good deeds, not going to church.

 What makes us complete is understanding the inconceivable.

He can be yours today.  He will begin to empower you right now.  All you have to do is ask.  This power to begin the process of making you complete is a simple, genuine, humble prayer away.

God, have mercy on me, a sinner.  I can’t possibly understand this Love, but I accept that it exists and I receive it, and you.  Please fill me with it.  Change me by it.  Take hold of me and never let go.  I’m yours and I want you to be mine.  In Jesus’ name, and the power that comes by that name I ask this, Amen.

In his book, “The Furious Longing of God”, Brennan Manning writes,

“. . . put bluntly, God is sheer Being-in-Love and there was never a time when God was not love.  The foundation of the furious longing of God the Father who is the originating Lover, the Son who is the full self-expression of that Love, and the Spirit who is the original and inexhaustible activity of that Love, drawing the created universe into itself.”

Frivolous?  I think not.

We would like to invite you to our night of prayer and praise, Friday, March 21 | 7-8:30 pm at the Knapp Street Campus, 3869 Knapp St.  We will look back at what God has taught us through this journey and we will look ahead to what He has in store for us.  We hope you'll consider joining us.

-Doug Bishop
 

No comments:

Post a Comment