Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Pace Yourself

How many times have you heard someone complain about God not moving fast enough for them?  Better yet…when’s the last time you complained because God wasn’t moving fast enough for you? Whether it’s waiting for a new job, a house to sell or buy, adoption process, direction in school, meeting Mr. or Mrs. Right, that long annoying traffic light to change.  It seems to me nearly everyone complains at some point in life about how God is not moving fast enough for them.

There’s a small lake locally that is void of any houses and has trails all around it.  Often on Saturday mornings I’ll get up early and go run the trails around the lake.  It’s not only good exercise, it’s good prayer time…good God time.  On a recent run I was praying and really felt God’s presence.  I know this will sound strange to some, but it’s as if God was running right alongside me…enjoying the run.

And then it dawned on me.  God is really, really fast.  I mean…He’s God!  He is lightning fast!  And yet He seems content to go at my pace.  He seems pleased to slow down and run next to me at a pace I can handle.  It’s as if He just simply enjoys my presence.

For you see, God is not really slow.  He is God.  Do you really think you could outpace God?  The truth is He really is content, pleased and happy to run at your pace.  He could go faster, but in reality you wouldn’t be able to keep up and you’d miss out on His presence.

God moves slow for your sake.

So the next time you think God is super slow in moving in your life, don’t look behind you and think, “Gosh…God is so slow.  He fell behind so far to where I can’t even see him anymore!”

Instead, look next to you.  You will find Him there enjoying your presence and going at your pace…a pace you can handle. 

“But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.”  2 Peter 3.8-9 NLT


~ Kevin Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment